Standard Life Investments is a premier asset manager with an expanding global reach. Our wide range of investment solutions is backed by a distinctive investment philosophy, disciplined risk management and shared commitment to a culture of investment excellence. Standard Life Investments manages circa EUR193bn on behalf of clients worldwide of which two thirds are institutional and one third retail clients. Investment capabilities span equities, fixed income, real estate, private equity, multi-asset solutions, fund-of-funds and absolute return strategies. Our investors rank among some of the world's most sophisticated and high-profile institutions. They include corporate pension plans, banks, private wealth managers mutual funds, insurance companies, fund-of-fund managers, endowments, foundations, local authorities, charities, official institutions, sovereign wealth funds and government authorities.
As part of the Global Client Group (GCG), the European Business Development team is a critical part of the global franchise which Standard Life Investments is committed to building over the long term.
The European Business Development team covers SLI's business in Continental Europe and Ireland and its function is to generate new client relationships, Funds under Management and income. The team consists of a number of sales professionals each with a geographic area of responsibility.
The role holder will support the development and growth of Standard Life Investments' European business. They will assist in the development of Standard Life Investments' Brand and hence grow the external client base by developing key relationships across our European target geographies.
The role holder will work closely with the Global Sales team and will also interact with the broader Global Client Group including the investment specialists, Marketing, Global Client Relationship Management team and the other global sales teams. In addition they will be required to liaise and work with other teams within SLI such as legal and compliance, the Asset Class teams and operations.
- To work closely with the European Sales team in order to achieve a market leading profile through various media routes
- Provides an exceptional client experience through a focus on client needs at all times in line with the Company's TCF policy and is flexible when trying to meet and exceed client expectations.
- Own the client and market research process including monitoring market trends to identify sales opportunities and using databases, Mandatewire and II Searches in a smart and effective manner
- Co-ordinate the research activities of Marketing, RFPs & Presentations and other teams and proactively share information with Sales colleagues and the Sales Directors
- Assist with the collation of business plans, key account plans, joint consultant plans and joint client plans of the Sales Directors working in conjunction with the Sales, Account Management and Strategic Consultant Relations teams
- Take responsibility for the post meeting follow up process of the Sales Directors where required (including collating and mailing literature, data, if required)
- Build relationships with the Sales Directors and provide ongoing dedicated contact to ensure they receive timely updates on investment products, funds, market trends and competitor performance
- Prepare and maintain 'business factsheets' containing information 'at a glance' on fund performance, number of clients etc to support the Sales Directors
- Support the Sales Directors with pitch preparation for large opportunities through sitting in or pitch rehearsals, identifying strengths or issues of importance to the target
- Keep centralised records of all distributor agreement obligations / dependencies
- Maintain and oversee Salesforce to ensure that it contains accurate, up-to-date structured sales data (from a client, prospect and consultant perspective)
- Work in conjunction with the Platform Development Team (PDT), to develop and implement, functionality and processes to support the Sales Directors in their sales functions (incl. key account planning work)
- Continually seek opportunities for improving the quality of information and service offered to clients, prospects and investment consultants approached or won by the Sales Directors
- Proactively source and communicate relevant up-to-date information (e.g. investment strategies, changes in , removal of funds from active distribution etc) to the Sales Directors
- Support the production and release of regular communications e.g. mailings, newsletters, market commentary etc
- Respond to queries raised by the Sales Directors via telephone
- Support the organisation of internal Sales forums (e.g. logistics, preparing invites, agendas, presentation materials etc)
- Understanding of the European Institutional and wholesale marketplace, particularly experience and knowledge of the Dutch and/or German market is vital
- Knowledge of World markets, asset classes, investment products and Investment strategy
- SLI business plan, work practices & procedures, key roles & responsibilities and culture etc. Will be developed in role for external candidates.
- Understanding of the Regulatory Environment
- Awareness of key players and competitors in Investment market
- Demonstrates an in depth knowledge of business processes and procedures in accordance with the Company's TCF policy as well as the compliance and legislative environment in which we operate.
- European languages skills are desirable
- Self motivated with a desire to be successful
- Relationship management - mainly remote although face to face hosting of client meetings may become part of the role
- Telephone skills
- Confident to drive relationships remotely and some face to face
- Sales - tools, techniques etc.
- Process and systems knowledge
- Proactively contribute to the sales effort, and delivery of sales targets
- Strong work ethic - enjoys working at pace self motivated and is accountable for actions
- Happy working within a professional team and by yourself
Typical Qualifications / Experience
- IMC qualification (preferred - however candidates must at least be willing to study for this qualification)
- Networking- builds a range of contacts both internally and externally and uses their knowledge to gain business advantage.
- Language skills given role profile Dutch and/or German language skill is key, possibly time working in either market seen as key benefit
- Team work - is supportive of colleagues and is willing to share ideas and listen to others.
- Information gathering - knows where to get relevant information from and will make use of all available sources.
- Planning & organising - schedules daily work and does not rely on others to prioritise activities.
- Client focus - maintains focus on client needs at all times and is flexible when trying to meet and exceed client expectations.
- Communicating & influencing - explains things clearly whether verbally or in writing and can present to a wide audience using an appropriate style and tone.
- Preference for Action - takes ownership for work and will see things through.
- Responsibility - demonstrates strong work ethic and takes initiative to meet client needs. Looks for opportunities to create value for the client.
- Tenacity - copes well with high volumes of work and thrives in a fast paced work environment.